Community Connect – 2011 review
At Language Connect, we are committed to being a socially responsible business by engaging with our local community, promoting sustainability and operating in a fair and transparent manner. Our programme to showcase our ethical business values, Community Connect, has had its most active year.
Here’s a recap on Community Connect’s activities this year:
- In March we held a translation and interpreting workshop at the Convent of Jesus and Mary Language College to raise awareness of language learning and give students a hands-on experience of using their second language to pursue a career in the language services industry (our work with the college was highly commended for innovation at the Business Language Champion Awards)
- As part of Global Entrepreneurship Week, two of our Project Management staff sat on a panel at the Convent of Jesus and Mary Language College to talk to the students about using languages in business. I went back to my old university, Bristol, to sit on a panel of alumni in business to speak about my experience of setting up and growing a business
- Our Operations Manager in Germany took part in a student mentoring scheme in Munich
- For our London office design project we promoted two local artists who created a unique and inspiring design. Additionally, we donated the paint and the tools left over from the project to a local charity that promotes and teaches art in the area
- Through Kiva, we provided $1,000 in micro-loans to small businesses/entrepreneurial initiatives in developing countries
- We donated our old PCs to a charity, Computer Aid International, that sends them to the developing world
- We are making donations of over £600 to local charities in the UK, Germany and Australia in-lieu of e-cards that we sent out this week.
Special thanks go to all our staff that have participated in Community Connect this year.