Macmillan Coffee Morning fundraiser
Language Connect has been overcoming language barriers for Macmillan Cancer Support since 2007. We translate the charity’s cancer information into more than 15 languages, guiding patients through their illness in their native language.
So we were proud to host our annual Macmillan Coffee Morning to raise funds for the charity through a Language Connect bake-off. If there is one thing we like here, it’s a bit of cake and this year’s coffee morning included an impressive selection of cakes from England, Spain, Denmark and Italy. We’ve included the recipe for the winning cake of the day below, although the competition was fierce.
This year, Elena organised the event and decided to raise more awareness and interest through a global team challenge. By supporting the event with an online donation-nomination chain, each team member acknowledged their support by posting a picture of themselves in their pyjamas, raising further funds for the charity.
In total, we raised more than £300 for the charity and it was a pleasure to welcome Macmillan to our offices for the day.
Ricotta and Lemon Cake
- 300g ricotta cheese
- 300g caster sugar
- 300g plain white flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 dl light oil (sunflower is best)
- zest of 2 lemons
- icing sugar for decoration
- Whisk eggs and sugar until light and frothy
- Add lemon zest and ricotta and whisk until combined
- Combine flour and baking powder in a separate bowl and add to the mixture
- Stir in the oil until it is fully combined
- Put the cake in a lightly greased spring tin
- Bake at 180 celcius for approx. 30 minutes or until the cake is baked through
- Cool the cake and decorate